Starting a body contouring or body sculpting business? As of 2023 there are no federal (national) requirements for licencing a body contouring business. Non-invasive body contouring is classified as “miscellaneous personal service” in US.
You will need to check your current local and state requirements to confirm however most states don’t require you to have a specific license. We have found in most instances, states don’t regulate these services however it will not be written in plain English. Many states do not regulate non-invasive body sculpting businesses, however it’s a good idea to your research based on your location.
There may also be additional local requirements that must be adhered to when providing a beauty service such as the surfaces, lighting, ventilation and hand washing facilities of your premises, as well as hygiene procedures, both for your utensils and personal hygiene.
We have collated a list of state-based resource links that may help you research starting a body sculpting business and as a stepping stone to researching if your local state has any licencing requirements. These websites may or may not answer the question “do I need a licence” they are a great starting point.
Useful links for researching US State requirements
- Alabama – AtlasAlabama.gov
- Alaska – Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development
- Arizona – Arizona Commerce Authority and Arizona Department of Revenue
- Arkansas – Ark.gov Owning a Business
- California – CalGold website
- Colorado- Colorado’s Office of Economic Development and Colorado’s official state tools for businesses
- Connecticut – The Connecticut Secretary of State’s New Business Tool and Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection’s Business Licenses, Registrations, and Tools
- Delaware – Delaware.gov’s OneStop for New Businesses page
- Florida – Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
- Georgia – georgia.org and Georgia Secretary of State’s website
- Hawaii – Hawaii.gov’s Business Express and Hawaii’s Department of Commerce’s Professional and Vocational Licensing
- Idaho –Idaho.gov’s State and Federal Resources for Business
- Illinois – Illinois.gov
- Indiana – inbiz.in.gov/start-business
- Iowa – Iowa Business License Information Center
- Kansas – Kansas.gov Business License website
- Kentucky – Kentucky one-stop business resource website
- Louisiana – Louisiana Secretary of State
- Maine – GoMaine.gov website
- Maryland – Maryland’s official one stop website
- Massachusetts – Massachusetts official website and mass.gov/topics/business-licenses-permits
- Michigan – State License Search on Michigan’s website and michigan.gov/som/business
- Minnesota – mn.gov/deed/business/starting-business and official Minnesota online business license tool
- Mississippi – sos.ms.gov/business-services-regulation
- Missouri – Missouri’s Secretary of State
- Montana – svc.mt.gov/dor/eStopPortal and Montana Secretary of State website
- Nebraska – official state of Nebraska website
- Nevada – Nevada Secretary of State
- New Hampshire – official New Hampshire government site and revenue.nh.gov/faq/new-business-tax
- New Jersey – business section of NJ.gov and business.nj.gov/
- New Mexico – New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department and newmexico.gov/business/Starting_A_Business
- New York – Official New York government website
- North Carolina – official North Carolina website
- North Dakota – nd.gov/businessreg/license
- Ohio – https://clients.ohiosbdc.ohio.gov/DocumentMaster.aspx?doc=2462 and Ohio.gov
- Oklahoma – Oklahoma Department of Commerce
- Oregon – Oregon Secretary of State
- Pennsylvania – Pennsylvania Department of State Licensing Division
- Rhode Island – sos.ri.gov
- South Carolina – South Carolina’s website and South Carolina Business One Stop.
- South Dakota – South Dakota Governor’s Office of Economic Development
- Tennessee – Tennessee Department of Revenue’s registration and licensing page
- Texas – Texas ebook on Business Licenses and Permits
- Utah – Utah’s OneStop Business page
- Vermont Vermont Secretary of State business services division
- Virginia – virginia.gov/state-government/business/ and virginia.gov/services/licenses/financial-and-business/
- Washington – Washington State Department of Licensing and Department of Revenue
- Washington DC – Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs and DC Business Center.
- West Virginia – West Virginia online business portal
- Wisconsin – Wisconsin licensure requirements
- Wyoming – Wyoming Secretary of State and Wyoming Business Council
Ultrasonic Fat Cavitation
And Radiofrequency Certification
A 2-in-1 course to promote your cavitation & RF treatment to give clients a slimmer, smoother silhouette.
Price: $197 USD
EMS Body Sculpting
Electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) is a non-invasive body contouring treatment that improves muscle building and fat burning.
Price: $197 USD
Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)
Learn how to use Vacuum Therapy to help your clients reduce cellulite and shape their booty.
Price: $197 USD